Monday 28 May 2012

Review: Athenaeum Spa, London (4 out of 5 stars)

I still can't believe that I forgot my bikini this morning... I actually contemplated going into the hot tub in my birthday suit. In my defence, I was the only one in the spa, but I chickened out.

My impulsive thoughts are testimony to the coolness of the Athenaeum Spa. I finally went today after buying a LivingSocial voucher literally 6 months ago. I've never actually been to an actual spa before, and it was overall a great experience. See the title? I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

The 'wet area', Athenaeum Spa 
Facilities: 5/5
The changing room has everything you need: lockers, bathrobe, slippers, shower, towels, hairdryer and straightener, plus a big mirror for post-spa primping.

I love the 'wet area': there are 2 hot tubs, a steam room, a rainshower and sofas and magazines just for chilling. There are juices and water just outside the area and they are free to guests.

The treatment: 3/5
The treatment itself was slightly underwhelming. The massage was alright, but the 'facial' was pretty shit, for the lack of a better word. The lady seemed to be an amateur beautician, she squirted cleansing oil onto my eye for crying out loud... thank God I had squeezed my eyes shut. The handiwork was sloppy and my skin didn't feel particularly clean or rehydrated at the end.

The location: 5/5
But, having said that, the spa, being right opposite the huge Hyde Park is a definite point of redemption. I took a leisurely stroll in the sunshine down Piccadilly to Hyde Park Corner. To complete the experience, I took bus number 10 down to Bond Street and got me some sushiiiiii from Atariya on the way home. Okay I lie, I actually went home but the sushi will absolutely be on the agenda next time.

Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner
I heard the reception lady talking to a customer on the phone about a 'mix and match' offer, and I checked it out here. It says it's expired in January, but for £50 per person I think it's worth calling them up to see if the offer's still valid anyway. Dialing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment