Wednesday 13 June 2012

couture tribute: spring/summer 2007

I don't remember why 2007 is such a big year in my head... but I highly suspect it is because of the Spring/Summer  2007 Couture season. This was before the big financial crisis hit and the big guns put on show the most theatrical works with minimal regard for economic viability.

Of course much has changed since 2007. John Galliano is no longer with Christian Dior and Christian Lacroix filed for bankruptcy and staged his (possibly) last couture show in 2009. My love for Gaultier fluctuates, but I think he was on the top of his game in this season.

To me, these 3 shows are the epitome of the beauty, extravagance and flamboyance of haute couture. Enjoy.


Christian Dior
I remember the stir this particular collection caused in the fashion press. It is orgasmic. The Japanese references cannot be lost on anyone- the incredible construction of the origami dress, the fuschia suit and the exaggerated peplum of orange bloom. Galliano's skills as a couturier and his eye for colour are unparalleled- shame about the drunken antisemetic outburst.


Christian Lacroix
Spring. That's all I think of when I see this collection. It's not the most original theme, obviously, but Lacroix has the ultimate green fingers (what a clever pun). To this day, a Lacroix SS2007 CTW dress remains my dream wedding dress. I will take any of the above, though I am leaning towards the peach number that falls in the most delicate cascades of ruffles.


Jean Paul Gaultier
This is probably my favourite collection in terms of originality. Who else better than the enfant terrible to bring the Bible into fashion? The headpieces are stunning, obviously inspired by halos crowning the Virgin Mary in medieval religious paintings, and panels of these paintings feature in a couple of the dresses. The blues and the beige/browns really do it for me, especially the medieval-shaped dress on the bottom right and the sweeping blue gown with gold threading radiating from the divine (biblical) Madonna's heart.

Source: Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment