Friday 10 August 2012

disney for fashion

All sorts of Disney x fashion crossovers keep cropping up these days.

When someone says I'm too old to watch Disney movies...
As the generation who grew up with all the classics - Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Pocahontas, Lion King (not fashionably relevant, I know...) - Disney definitely has some sort of lasting and nostalgic appeal. And when you put a fashion spin on the familiar cartoons, the chemistry is inevitable.

Jirka Väätäinen's absolutely stunning illustrations are more art than fashion. The smouldering sex appeal of the princesses, however, can be lifted out of any magazine. Jasmine is probably my favourite, and though I hated Tinkerbell in Peter Pan, I love Väätäinen's rendition.

http://jirkavinse.wordpress.com
A couple of days ago, I happened upon these fabulously original sketches of Disney princesses and villains by fashion design student 'Sashii-Kami'. The full compilation includes an astounding 26 characters, all immaculately designed to the very last detail. I love the hair on Rapunzel and Aurora here.

http://sashii-kami.deviantart.com

And today on Facebook, another random Disney sketch, not as pretty but proof that the trend is catching on.

Image source

Of course, unforgettable is the spread 'La Moda Animada' featuring the big names in fashion as Disney characters in Elle Spain in 2010, illustrated by Ulrich Schroder. Unfortunately I can't find any high resolution images, but this one featuring Karl Lagerfeld is simply genial.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment